Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I'm Not Swiss, But I Enjoy Their Days

The Hardcastle girls had our 2nd Annual girl’s trip this Labor Day weekend. We headed off to Midway, Utah for good ol’ Swiss Days. Two years ago I had no idea these days even existed. But I’m glad that they do because it gives me the chance to spend some quality time with my sister-in-laws and mom-in-law.

For this annual event we head up to Midway early Friday morning (if my mom-in-law had her way we would leave even earlier than we do so we don’t miss the ‘good’ crafts) and spend a few hours of wandering up and down isles of booths loaded with different types of crafts. The first hour I’m all gung-ho, then the heat sets in and all of the crafts start to look alike. This year wasn’t nearly as hot as last year, which I was indeed grateful for. Just like last year, LeeAnn and I both were on the search for craft ideas that we could duplicate ourselves, except this year I actually want to duplicate them. My mom-in-law has a great talent of making crafts. I, on the other hand, have a great church calling that requires me to make crafts (yep, I’m the craft coordinator). So instead of spending all my money on crafts that LeeAnn says we can easily make, I wait and spend it all at the outlets in Park City (although this year I did by this picture. I wanted it last year and didn’t buy it so when I saw it again this year and still wanted it, I bought).


Jodi, Me, and Mel (who is oh so excited to get her picture taken)



I wanted to buy this for Gordon, but they just didn't have his size

Last year I was much more ‘successful’ at spending my money and had way more shopping bags than everyone else, but this year I passed that torch to Jodi who bought something in just about every store we went into. I was real close to buying a ‘fancy’ wallet at the Coach outlet, but I thought my marriage was a bit more important then a matching wallet for my purses.

Aside from the shopping, we went to Baja Cantina for dinner where once again we had crappy service. I guess that will follow us in our tradition each year because last year we went to a different restaurant and had crappy service. The trip wouldn’t have been complete without a stroll on Main Street and a pit stop at the chocolate factory to get a caramel apple (and some doggie treats for little ones at home). Then it's back to our hotel for some TV and rest (which this year we didn't get a lot of although we should have by going to bed before 10pm!).


They both didn't know if I was tricking them or not because the smell was so sweet...

Abbi soon got over it and enjoyed the chocolatie goodness

I had a blast on this trip. It is so fun to spend time with my in-law family. It makes me grateful to have such a wonderful in-law family. So many people complain about their in-laws but I love mine like my own family. I can’t wait ‘til next year!
*While I played Gordon worked hard helping my step-dad finish his 'shed' aka garage. He's learning so one day he can build a massive one in our backyard*

3 comments:

Kim Felt said...

This was my first time at swiss days, I LOVED it. But I agree, once the heat set in, I could care less about any craft item there. :) and the Baja Cantina is one of my fav. resteraunts! I haven't been there in years. It sounds like you had fun, that would be a fun tradition.

Kara Simmons. said...

Jessica I am not lying when I say I did everything you did this past weekend!! I stayed in Park City right by the Baja Cantina with family, I went to Swiss days, got my dog a chocolate covered bone, and saw that same fur thong you did!! How funny!!

Laura y Adam said...

Oooohh..how cute. I love my sis in laws too isn't it great when you do!! I'm glad you had lots of fun.