Monday, September 22, 2008

The Whole Experience

I went on my very first vacation with the Hardcastle’s. Seems weird that it is my first vacation with the whole family since Gordon and I have gone on many vacations with my family, none the less it was my first. We ventured to Jackson Hole, Wyoming for a 3 day, 2 night vacation. We stayed in a condo at Teton Village (thanks Grandma and Grandpa Hardcastle). Our amenities were two twin beds pushed together to make one giant bed. I thought it was comfortable, besides the fact that even though we had two beds, we managed to sleep on one or in the crack between the beds (sorry Gordon). We got up to Jackson late Friday night so we didn’t get to do much besides sleep, but Saturday was a full day. It’s tradition for the families to wake up really early (before the sun comes up) and watch/listen to the elk. Gordon told me that we watch them mate, which I thought was weird. His mom said we listen to them mate, also weird. When we found a spot with lots of elk, neither of those things happened. We did hear them, and apparently they make this noise to mate, not while they are mating and boy was that a relief. It was a new experience for me with more than just the elk. Regardless of having nice warm comfortable condos not far away from the elk, we had breakfast outside in the freezing cold rainy weather. I was not thrilled with this idea. I sat in the truck waiting for the rain to stop, which it never did. So I braved the rain and snuggled close to Gordon for warmth (and umbrella coverage) while I waited for a very delicious breakfast (thanks Greg). Next it was off to town for window shopping and photo ops. After shopping, Gordon, his dad Kim, and I went for a hike, if you can call it that. We wanted to go for a hike and planned for a 3 mile adventure, but the rain had other plans. We drove for an hour to get to Brooks Lake, hiked for 18 minutes, then ran for 10 minutes back to the truck. None of us were dry. My sweet husband had a rain jacket and refused to put on his hood because I didn’t have one. Dumb, but I sure appreciated the gesture. After drying off, we had dinner at Grandma and Grandpa Hardcastle’s condo with the whole family. On Sunday Gordon’s parents had found out what time sacrament meeting was at a local church so we attended that and went home.

I enjoyed spending time with Gordon’s family. Gordon had told me about the Jackson Hole annual vacation and all the different things they do. I am glad to say that I experienced the whole thing, although I would have like to do a bit more hiking and stay longer. Maybe next year.

The Elk
Us listening to the elk, so early in the morning!
Part of the Teton Mountains
I'm still shorter than him and I'm standing on a rock!
The "bearded" brothers
It wouldn't be a Jackson trip without this photo
The Hike
Soaked!
Beauty after the storm
There's a story behind this picture. Gordon HATES getting his picture taken. He says his smile always looks fake. Whenever he is having his picture taken he hums out loud to keep himself smiling. I take so many pictures when we're out that he has decided to not even really try to smile anymore (he doesn't like me to post those pics). This picture is different. He is full on posing! I still cannot believe he let me take this picture and keep it (he doesn't know I posted it yet)!

2 comments:

Lindsey Rose said...

Sounds like fun! I love Jackson! I remember the first time I went on a trip with the Rose family to Yellowstone! It was fun! the whole family wasn't there, but we had a great time, even when I was throwing up in the back of Larrys truck! I love the pict of Gordon, its a beaut.

Georgi Family said...

I couldn't stop laughing when you wrote about the elk and the whole mating thingy. FUNNY STUFF