Friday, September 5, 2008

Happy Tears

Last night my dad invited us to a mandatory dinner. He told me it was to celebrate my new job. He told my sister it was to discuss tickets for a Green Bay Packers game. My sister and I didn’t discuss the reason for the dinner when we had talk on the phone earlier that day so we didn’t know we were told different things. My sister wasn’t sure if she was going to be able to make it. My dad not only bugged her all day about coming, but asked me to find out why she might not come and bug her until she agreed to come. I didn’t think anything of this. When Gordon got home I told him we were going to dinner with my dad. The first thing he says was “I bet you he’s going tell us he’s getting married.” WHAT?! Why would that be the first thing that pops into his head? My dad has been known to invite us to dinner spur of the moment so it wasn’t out of the ordinary for us to be going. I told Gordon it was to celebrate my new job (“me, me, me” as my family would say). It wasn’t until Brenda’s son got out of my dad’s car when I started to think he had something very important to tell us. When we sat down I noticed that Brenda was not using her left hand. She kept it “hidden” in her lap. She did this for 30 minutes! Then in the middle of conversation, my dad looks at each of us and says “I’m going to need you, you, you, and you to stand with us on October 11 when Brenda and I get married.” HOLY COW! There were smiles all around the table! My sister and I were in shock! Our dad is getting married! My dad has dated a few girls since my parents got divorced but never once thought about marriage. And Brenda has never been married before and didn’t really care if she ever was. But I have never seen my dad so happy. He’s been radiating happiness ever since they met. I could not be more excited for him. Brenda is a wonderful lady and treats my dad like the amazing man that he is.

So on October 11 I will be standing proud along side my husband, sister, and nephew to “give my dad away.” I never thought I would be going to my parent’s weddings (since in most cases they are already married before you are born). That’s something I don’t wish for people, but I feel very blessed to be able to watch my parents become happy again and find the love of their lives.

5 comments:

Kim Felt said...

Oh how cool! I am so happy for him (and for you). By the way, I know what you don't want to be jinxed about. I can read the questions. mums the word, don't worry. :)

Witter and Kway said...

I'm so glad you found me! You are a blogger!!! Yay! We need to get together and hang out sometime with all the girls. I miss ya!

Georgi Family said...

WTF!!! I didn't even know that your dad was seeing anyone. Sheesh! You tell him I said congrats and that I better get invited or I will kick his trash. 8) I have always loved that guy! What a stud.

Jordan Frazier said...

Hi Jessica!
I am so glad you found our blog! I loved looking at yours and see what you have been up to! You look as darling as ever and happy too! Good to keep in touch now!!

Lindsey Rose said...

That is awesome! I have never met your dad, but I am sure he is great! Tell him CONGRATS!