Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Adventure Is Just Over The Hill






I’ve been waiting for the perfect day to use my free pass to go snowboarding. This past Saturday was it. The sun was blazing all day. If I knew I wouldn’t be falling a lot I would have hit the hill in only a jacket instead of my big thick coat. But because I’m still a beginner I decided to be safe rather than sorry. Looking back on the day I totally could have just worn a jacket…I’m getting pretty dang good. Even Gordon said he was impressed with my improvements from last year. It’s hard to perfect a hobby when you only practice once or twice a year (and when you’re paying for two it can be very expensive, especially when you can’t just go to any resort).







We had a blast up at Snowbasin. It’s just over the hill (aka mountain) and less than 30 minutes away from our house. One day when we’re rich we’ll have season passes so we can go whenever we want! The best part about the day was being able to forget about everything. Life has been a bit hectic for us. Being able to put all of my energy into perfecting my carving and teach my nephew how to not fall was wonderful.



Proof that Skyler was up and going for a little bit...then he biffed it.


On the way home we decided to keep the adventure running high. Gordon had mentioned ice fishing on the way up to ‘basin. We passed Pineview on the way there and on the way home Gordon “dared” us to walk on the ice that had formed on the dam. Walking on ice is something Gordon fears. He’s done it plenty of times before and each time he doesn’t like. Skyler and I had never done it before so we made a small pit stop to walk on the frozen dam. Gordon and Sky went much further than I did. I was deathly afraid of falling in, despite the fact that there were a couple of people fishing that were perfectly fine I still was full of fear. I also saw the ice separating from the ground…scary! After I saw that I decided it would be a good idea to plant my feet on the ground. Gordon and Sky made fun of me. Whatever.




Yes, that's Gordon beyond the sign


Almost in the middle of the dam
and he doesn't even look nervous!


Me, on the other hand, couldn't even pretend that I wasn't stiff as a board


That little speck is me waiting for the boys to decide they had enough fun making fun of me

See the ice seperating from land...no way am I gonna get stranded!

This has nothing to do with the dam or snowboarding but it's the Ogden waterfall all frozen. Pretty amazing!

Each of us had an adventurous day. We even have the goggle tan lines to prove it…pretty hot!

1 comment:

Tami said...

Okay so I love Spring Snowboarding! It's so fun to be snowboarding and not freezing to death! I would totally be scared to death if I had to walk on that ice! I saw the picture of the ice separated from the ground and I thought "there is no way I would go out there!" You're better than me! I wouldn't even let Nick go out on that ice either. Wow, makes me sound like a wimp!