Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Working Man

My brother has had his struggles but right now he's has started a new beginning (again). Let me give you a brief update. Before the holidays last year he found himself once again in jail. He was there for a reoccurring violation and was not up for bail. He was given the opportunity to go in front of a judge and plead his case. This trial was different that previous trials he had been apart of. The decision of jail or prison would be decided. My brother has been to jail many times. Prison never. He was scared. We were all scared. But he got a brake once again. The judge decided to sentence him with jail time. He would serve in a halfway house where he would pay rent, get work release, and answer to someone multiple times a day. His life is controlled by someone else rather than him. It's perfect. That's what he needs. I only wish it would last forever!
He's doing amazing right now. He's very charismatic and landed himself a job. Not very many employers want to hire someone that is currently in jail. There are many people that are looking for jobs these days. But he's a sweet talker. He works for a pizza place as a cashier, server, bus boy, and cook. He's amazing at it! He's one of the hardest workers I know. When he sets his mind to something he owns it! This job is not anything special by all means and I'm sure it's not hard to be great at, but he's more than great at it...he owns this job! So much that the owner wants to let go of some of the other staff and let him pick up their job and hours.
We went to visit last night and it was so great to see him succeeding. He's doing it! He doesn't have car so he bikes to work and gets there well before his shifts starts and stays well after his shift has ended. He makes tips on slow nights. My Mom and I watched him glow as the phones kept ringing and people kept coming in and he was working and doing it all.



I want him so bad to succeed. I hate that he struggles with addiction. I hate that he doesn't know what he could be. I hate that he doesn't remember the principles that he has been taught to know that he wouldn't be given this challenge if he couldn't overcome it. He can do this! And we'll be cheering him on all the way.

1 comment:

Georgi Family said...

wow!! I have honestly got to say that that is the best I have seen travis look in a long time. Where does he work? I want to go say hi. (leave him a nice tip too) He is such a good guy underneath all that has been brought upon him. He can do it. He has what most people don't....an amazing family for support.