Tuesday, January 13, 2009

We'll Remember More Than They Will

I have yet to attend one of my friend’s wedding. I have been to a few of Gordon’s friend’s weddings and I enjoy going to the temple sealing. This past Friday another one of Gordon’s friends got married. I consider him my friend too since I’ve known him just about as long as I’ve known Gordon and we had plans to travel the world together (Gordon wasn’t that interested at the time).

This was Gordon’s first time being apart of a wedding that wasn’t his own. He was a groomsman. He had to wear a special tie and flower. So important! He was less than thrilled to be apart of all the pictures. He wasn’t alone in his torture. His best friend Chris was also a groomsman and was just as excited as Gordon was for all he had to participate in.

It was fun to hang out with Gordon’s20friends. All of his good friends have moved away so we don’t get to see them as often as we would like. Especially Chris. Chris and his wife, Kit, are so much fun! We had a lot of time to kill between wedding, luncheon, and reception but the time went by fast because of them. Chris is hilarious! I had a headache by the end of the night because I was laughing so hard at all the ridiculous comments he made about everything. We were excited to have them over after the long wedding day to relax and watch Flight of the Conchords. When they left I told Gordon how much I miss having them live close (although they are only 4-6 hours away in St. George, it feels like they are states away sometimes).

The wedding was really nice. Rick and Sarah were married in the Salt Lake Temple in the same sealing room as Gordon and me. The memories from our wedding day filled my mind and heart. I don’t know about others, but I don’t really remember all that was said on our day. I remember what I took to be the most important but talking to others a lot more was said that I don’t really remember. I think that Rick and Sarah will probably be the same way.

I also feel like I get more out of the sealing that the new married couple does. There was a lot said that applied directly to Gordon and me. Their sealer talked about angels as witnesses to their sealing. He said that he believes, along with Elder M. Russell Ballard, that these angels are family and friends that have past. That was really neat to hear. We have both lost family members and it was comforting to hear those words. He also mentioned family and the sealing o rdinance that comes from kids born into the covenant and those that are adopted. He spoke about the love that was felt from Rick and Sarah. I could feel their love as well as my own love for my eternal companion. Listening to the covenants that they made with each other and the Lord helped me remember more clearly my covenants. The spirit was so strong. I left their sealing feeling very uplifted. It was almost like the feeling I had on my wedding day, only stronger.

Each day my feelings grow deeper and stronger for Gordon. Each minute we spend quality time together is a blessing. I love him so much and I’m grateful for the opportunity I have to be his eternal companion.

1 comment:

Laura y Adam said...

Wow Jess, You are so amazing. You have such a sweet spirit about you. Attending temple sealings are so wonderful. Its so true they do bring back memories and the feeling is a lot stronger, not that it wasn't when we got married, I think that we are more attentive to what is being said. I hope you are doing well.