Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What A Day!

The BIG day was Saturday October 11. Most of you that live in Utah know that was the day the weather decided to get a head start on winter and it started to snow. Luckily my Dad had planned an indoor wedding, so the weather was not really an issue (except for those that wanted a snow cone…we had to stand outside and wait in line outside the snow cone stand they had set up).

Saturdays are usually a crazy day for me, and although this Saturday should not have been so crazy, it was. Jodi and I decided to add another day to our gym routine and start going on Saturday mornings. So I started off my day wonderfully with a full 2 hour workout. After the gym I started into my Saturday routine: CLEANING! Our apartment is pretty little, but it still takes me a little over 2 hours to clean. Then I needed to stock up our fridge with fresh fruit for the week to come, so I headed off to the store. Then we needed bread and I do not get my bread at the grocery store so that added on more place to go in the mix of my busy Saturday morning. I ran my errands in just enough time to make it back to get ready for the wedding. Deciding what to wear was such an issue (like it usually is). I didn’t want to be too fancy, but I also knew I had to stand by my Dad during the ceremony so I couldn’t be too casual either (such a dilemma, I know). Once I had decided what to wear, it was time to go. We made it there just in time. The clubhouse they decided to have their wedding was transformed from plain to Steelers/Packers paraphernalia everywhere (yes, it was a football themed wedding…you are probably having the same reaction I did, but it fits them so who am I to judge). When my dad saw us come in he was relieved as if we weren’t going to come or something. He was so excited and not nervous at all. Unlike Brenda who couldn’t calm her nerves. She was so nervous that she forgot her bouquet, which she realized after she had walked down the aisle. Someone went and got it for her, and then the ceremony started. It was really nice. I was so close to not crying, until I looked at my Dad when they started playing “their” song and Brenda came walking down the aisle. It warmed my heart to see my Dad so happy. The preacher kept things very short and sweet and not too serious which was perfect for my Dad. He cracked a few jokes and made us all laugh. When the ceremony was over, we did the picture thing and then had some yummy food catered by El Burrito. We mingled and met a lot of new people (family I guess you could say). We watched them cut the cake, toss the bouquet and guarder, and then we left.

My Dad with his kids
Anthony walking his Mom down the aisle
Exchanging rings
So happy!
The cake ritual
They were so nice to each other. No messes.
My sister, me and Gordon waiting in line for our snow cone.
They were delicious!
No, we're not twins!
The older he gets, the more cool he becomes (or thinks he's becoming).
My dad and his girls just hanging out.
Cute little Zoe stealing some of "Godfather's" (aka my dad) money from his money tree.
The surprise guest...

The best part of the wedding was the surprise guest. My Dad had “reached” my brother and he was able to come. I hadn’t seen him for a very long time. My entire family was surprised to see him, and I know it meant a lot to my Dad that he came. I have not mentioned my brother at all on my blog. It’s hard for me to tell you about him, mostly because I don’t really know him. He has been involved with drugs since he was 13. He has been in and out of my life since I was little so having a big brother has not really been a part of my life. He has been in and out of jail, and in and out of my life. In jail, he sobers up and he’s the brother I’ve always wanted. He’s so smart and has so much potential, but he’s addicted and it’s a vicious cycle once he’s out. The hardest part is watching what he does to my parents, especially my Mom. She has helped him out time and time again. It’s hard for me to sympathize with him because I see what he can be and I get angry. I have made decisions in my life that make me very fortunate to not have to struggle with substance addictions so I have no idea what he is going through. I only see what it has done to my family, and my brother and his family. I pray for him daily. He’s still here for a reason, and for that I am grateful. I want him to be who I know he can be, to believe in himself because we all believe in him. (Sorry for the downer story)

The wedding was a success. The newly weds are extremely happy, as we are for them. I am so blessed to have the family I have, struggles and all. Trials are what make us. And I am grateful for them.

3 comments:

Georgi Family said...

yeah!! That wedding was sooo something that would fit your dad. I still think of him as my uncle and I want you to tell him that. He had that much of a positive impact on me. Even though he teased me a ton, I knew he liked me. (and if he didn't, just let me believe what I want. 8) The first picture I looked at of you guys I thought I saw travis. How did your dad track him down? I feel so bad for travis. I don't think we have any idea of what it would be like to have your body need something so bad. Sad. Well, congrats on the wedding. Brenda seems really nice. Can't wait to meet her one day.

Kim Felt said...

oh, I miss your dad. He is so funny. There are jokes he made about me that STILL follow me. :) It's good to see travis. I keep him in my prayers too.

Janean said...

JESS!!!! what the crap i found your blog and totally stalked you,. i read all of your posts! I would LOVE you to blog stalk me too!!! send me your email, so i can add you to the 'list'. I commented on one of your earlier posts like 3weeks ago but never heard from you. I love you and really want to keep in touch. We had SO much fun. We are freaking funny!!!!
janeansocal@yahoo.com
oh yeah and modest is hottest IS me and my sister.. thanks.