Saturday, January 31, 2009

And Many More...

We celebrated two birthdays this weekend, my sister Tanna and my Grandma 'J’. Their only years apart, or at least that’s what my Grandma kept telling everyone.

It was the regular lunch party for my Grandma. My Dad’s side of the family doesn’t get together that often so it was nice to see everyone. My Grandma loved all of her gifts. Someone even bought her flowers. She loved those!

My Grandma ‘J’ is an amazing woman. She is one of the most active seniors I know. She doesn’t have her license, not because it was taken away, but because she has never wanted to get it. Once you get her laughing, she can’t stop! She also thinks almost everything is funny. That’s a trait know I get from her. She is one of the best cooks I know! I have never had a better breakfast (oh how I miss Saturday mornings at Grandma’s…I use to go with my Dad almost every Saturday when I was little). She has a kind heart. She’ll do whatever she can for you.

We celebrated my sister’s birthday at Sunday dinner. This isn’t just any Sunday dinner though. For your birthday Sunday dinner you get to choose the menu and my mom cooks it for you. This includes dessert which usually is your favorite cake and homemade ice cream. Birthday Sunday dinners are my favorite!
Jason was in charge of the cake this year...
needless to say he did a great job and she loved it!


My sister turned ‘32’ this birthday. It’s weird to think she’s that “old.” The older I get the more I see us as the same age. We have so much in common now. We get along a lot better than we use to when we were growing up. We never really fought. I contribute that to being so far apart in age. There is one fight I remember…I think that’s because it was the only real fight we have ever been in. The short version of the fight: Tanna called me the 'b' word for some reason I don't even remember, so I took the root beer that I was drinking and spilled it down the front of her. That's when my Mom stepped in and the 'fight' was over. Neither of us were grounded (I have never been grounded although I'm sure I should have been more than a handful of times in my life). We laugh about that now. Heck, we laughed about it then.
Growing up I always wanted to be just like my sister. I thought she was so popular. She had a ton of friends, she was beautiful, and she was a great dancer. She always wore the latest fashions and her hair was always in style. On the weekends my Mom would let her comb my bangs for me (back when BIG bangs were in). She would make them as poofy as hers. Only on the weekends though...I was too young for that style for school or church. Every phase she went through I copied. We shared a bedroom until she graduated (very sucky for her, awesome for me). There were many times when she was gone that I would get in our closest and wear her clothes. They did not fit me at all but I still wanted to wear them. I never left the house in fear she might see me in them (and because I looked ridiculous).

When she became a mom I looked up to her that much more. Her life changed dramatically. She was a young single mom. She could have very easily let my Mom do most of the work but she took responsibility and grew up real fast: graduated, got a job, her driver's license (if it wasn't for Skyler I don't think she would have her driver's license today...that's where she takes after my Grandma), and eventually her own place. Watching her make life altering decisions has helped me in my life. I know I want to be the kind of mom she is has been for Skyler.
Her friendship has meant more to me than she probably knows. So many times in my life I have leaned on her. She has helped me get through some very trying times. She has been there for most of my life altering experiences, the good and the bad: parent's divorce, my 18th and 21st birthdays, dating, my wedding, and the list goes on and on.

I'm grateful for my family. My Grandma and my sister mean so much to me. I love them both very much.

No comments: