Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Never Too Cool To Hang Out With Aunt Jessie

I hope my nephew always feels this way. He is quickly approaching thirteen and I’m worried I’m not going to be ‘cool’ to him anymore. We’ve been super tight since he was born. It’s a combination of things that makes us this way. First, I lived with him for the first few of years of his life. He was like the little sibling I never had (yep, I’m the baby…surprising, I think not). When he took his first step it was to me. I heard him say his first word. I was there for a lot of his firsts. I’m his only aunt which makes me that much more special to him. The older he got, the cooler I became to him. He wanted20to come with me everywhere especially when I went to hang out with my friends. I would bring him along any chance I could…he’s the cutest little boy in the world and all my friends agreed with me.

He’s still the cutest little boy in the world although he is definitely not so little anymore. He is a few inches taller than me (which isn’t hard) and may even be a little stronger than me (he’s a football player). One thing that will never change is how cute he is. The older he gets the more handsome he becomes. He was a lady killer at the age of one and it’s just getting worse. He has these big brown eyes with eyelashes so long that girls envy him. His skin is a beautiful olive color and his hair a soft brown. He’s a looker. He started junior high this year which means he went to his first dance with girls. It was not only hard for his mother to l et him go, but my mom and I cried a little when she called to tell us where he was going that night. He was asked by a few ninth graders if he would dance with them…ninth graders!! He was too shy at the time to dance with them, but that has changed and the girls are crazy for him. We are all nervous.
Although I wanted to, I didn't stand on my tip-toes for this picture.
He's really that much taller than me!

He’s a sweetheart. He’s not afraid to tell you he loves you, even when his entire football team or friends are around. He still gives me hugs every time I see him, both coming and going (kisses not so much…maybe on the cheek but it’s rare). That’s another thing I hope never changes.

When my sister and him got their own place we would have sleepovers all the time. I would sleep there, or he would come to my mom’s house. When I got married and had my own place one of the first questions he asked me was “So when can I sleepover?” Lucky for me Gordon didn’t, and doesn’t, mind that he likes to have sleepovers with us. When we bought our house he noticed the extra rooms and picked out which one was his. I love having him sleepover. We have a good time with lots of laughs (he’s not only handsome, but he’s hilarious too. Must be the Fraga blood in him…).

This weekend was the first sleepover in our house. Although his room wasn’t ready for him quite yet, he still wanted to come. The older he gets the harder it is to entertain him. He brought over his X-box and taught us how to play some of the new hip games. I felt super old as I whined because I couldn’t figure out how to maneuver my guy with the controller. Technology is becoming so advanced while I stay behind the times. Gordon went to bed early (he was going snowboarding the next day early) but the two of us stayed up a little later watching The Office Season 2. It was just the two of us…laughing and filling our bellies with snacks and soda pop (I was very sick). We went shopping the next day (he doesn’t mind going shopping with all of us girls…I think he actually enjoys shopping. He has pretty much been raised by all girls so it’s not too shocking). I had a good time hanging out with him…I think he did too.

I love each chance I get to spend with him. Watching him grow and change into the young man he is becoming has been such a blessing in my life. I love him so much.

No comments: