Monday, October 6, 2008

A Little Bad Weather Never Got Me Down

My favorite thing to do when it is rainy weather is to sit at home wrapped up in a blanket watching the rain come down from inside and if I have some hot cocoa on hand, I’m sippin’ on that while I watch. This weekend was perfect for that, but I was not so fortunate enough to do my favorite thing. Instead I experienced the rain for all it had, wet clothes and all. Saturday my nephew had his first football playoff game. Being one of his biggest fans I had to go watch him, rain or shine (although I did try to bail out he called me to make sure I would be there). I found out that umbrellas are meant for short term trips like running from my car to my work building and NOT for 2 hour football games. They begin to leak, defeating the purpose of having an umbrella. On the flip side, garbage bags work great in place of a rain jacket, even if they look a little white trash. Despite the rain, the Warriors played great, winning their first playoff game. Skyler even got to run the ball! His coaches made sure that his whole family knew the play was coming up so we were prepared to watch him in the last few seconds of the game. It was so fun to see him do something other than tackle, like be the one getting tackled. He’s such a great football player and I enjoy watching him kick butt on the field.




He's #51

His BIGGEST fans cheering in the rain



This is Skyler's BIG play of the day. He's the one that gets tackled.

After the game, my mom and I headed over to my Grandma’s house to watch the ending of conference and take her grocery shopping and get her hair done. I love helping my Grandma and seem to be doing a lot more of it lately, but boy does it wear me out! I’m grateful I can help though and I know she appreciates it.
Sunday was wonderful. I know I have mentioned it before but Sundays are truly a day of rest for me. We went to my mom's house for the morning session of conference and then to Gordon's family's house for the afternoon session. There was lots of food at both places and needless to say Gordon and I went home very full and somewhat sick because of it.

I love General Conference weekend mostly because I get to sit around and listen to the talks in my p.j.s and not have to get ready for the day. I also love it because there is always that one talk that was meant especially for me. My testimony gets stronger and I set new goals for myself. I also love Saturday night priesthood session because, like for most of you, it's a girl's night. I spent the evening with my mom (and dogs) refinishing some bar stools that I hope to be putting to good use in the future. We're not quite done so we'll be having another girl's night to put the finishing touches on them. Mainly I love that I have a husband that honors his priesthood and attends the session. Upon me asking him what was said, he gives me a report on the major items that were addressed. This year was especially meaningful because Elder Uchtdorf told a story in his talk about a man named John R. Moyle and how he magnified his calling by walking 22 miles to accomplish his calling of carving "Holiness to the Lord" on the Salt Lake Temple, all on a peg leg! He's Gordon's Grandma's great great uncle (he thinks). What a blessing it is to have someone so strong in our heritage (I married into this awesome heritage) and what a great example he is to all of us to go that extra mile in our callings. I know I am guilty of complaining about finding craft ideas, and I only have to pump those out a handful of times a year!

I'm grateful for the prophet and apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Saints and the time they take to put together conferences for us members of the church. I take a lot away from each session and even more when I can study the talks when they are published in the Ensign the following month. I'm grateful to know the truth and have these wonderful opportunities to firm my foundation in the church.

1 comment:

Georgi Family said...

so I hope that I get to see those bar stools where they are going to be put soon. I would also love to help move those bar stools. 8)