Monday, October 20, 2008

Reverse Surprise Party?

My step dad Tim does everything a bit out of the ordinary, so when he told me that he was throwing a reverse surprise party for my mom I had questions, but was not surprised at his idea. Here was the plan…
My mom had made plans with her sisters to go to dinner for her birthday (which is a birthday tradition for the Burton girls). My Aunt Lyda was going to pick up her up. Instead of them leaving, the party guests would be arriving, making it so they couldn’t leave (or wouldn’t leave because the party came to her). A different idea, but it worked.

My mom was a bit confused as one by one each of her sisters arrived at her house, along with her step kids, friends, and us. She had made it very clear that she did not want a party. She wanted this birthday, the big ‘5-0’, to pass by without a notice…well she wanted to celebrate it her way with shopping and dinner in Park City although ideally she wanted to be out of the country. But Tim couldn’t let this birthday pass by without a big celebration, and I know she had a good time because she had a perma-smile the entire night.

Here are some of the highlights…

Instant old...cane and all!
Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you...
She was so excited for her Rocky Road ice cream.
And her presents were the BEST!
How can you live without a JUMBO TV remote control?! Especially when your 50...
And the donut for those hemorrhoids...
Eye sight is shot too!
But these help fix that.
Her '50' care package
She had no idea she had these balloons hooked to her...Smile away MOM!
The culprit of balloon pinning (we all had our share of not knowing the balloons were on us)
We played a game if you looked at the circle someone was making with their hand, they got to punch you. Gordon out smarted us all and did this. Tricky!

It just wouldn't have been a party without one of these pics. Thanks Missy (my step sister) for ruining it!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!

2 comments:

Georgi Family said...

We love you sue!! Happy 50!! You don't even look like your freaking 30. I am not joking. You are the best aunt that anyone could ask for. You have always been there for me and been like a second mom to me. You put up with all my crap too. I love ya and am glad that I was born into this amazing family.

Unknown said...

Such a lovely post! I am also thinking to celebrate my step-father’s birthday in a different style this time. I just have to find the right event space San Francisco for the night. After my dad, he has been like a blessing. He loves my mom and cares for us a lot. I want to do something special for him this time.