Friday, March 19, 2010

RIP Goldfish #1…or were you #2?

3 Christmases ago I attended my work’s annual company Christmas party. There was a white elephant exchange game at this party. And that night I left as the owner of two goldfish (bowl and food included).

Yesterday Gordon and I were getting ready to go on our run when I noticed Briggs sniffing something on the floor. I couldn’t tell what it was right away, but once I got closer I realized it was one of our goldfish. He had jumped. out. of. his. fish. bowl. When Gordon went to pick him up, he started moving a bit. Gordon put him back in his fish bowl, did a little fish CPR (which is where you move the fish back and forth so water gets in its gills). I may have started crying at this point. I get attached to things I care for. Too attached I think. And these were the first fish I had ever owned.

Well the fish started swimming around slowly, gained some of his vibrant orange color back, but kept coming back to the top of his bowl gulping for air. We didn’t know if that was a good sign or not.

We went on our run, came back and he was still alive. Things were good.

But later that night when I checked on him he wasn’t swimming anymore. He was floating on top of his bowl.

So we’re getting a new goldfish tonight. A companion for goldfish #2.

Goldfish #1 had a good life. 2 ½ years of love and care.

He was a good fish. I’ll miss him.

This is a picture of our new fish, Mo.
He's got a little black on his top fin and on the top of his head.  Like a mohawk.
#2 is happy to have a companion again.


Update: Mo died 5 days after this post.  And then #2 died the next day.  Sad times.

2 comments:

Gary and Bree said...

Jessica I am so sorry for your goldfish loss. You are funny. I admire you for wanting to take care of fish and for being sad when they die. I am bad but i would probably say good riddance!
(I know I am an awful woman for saying this it's sad but true)

Georgi Family said...

WOW! Gold fish living almost 3 years is unheard of! You gave him a good life then! ;)