Thursday, February 25, 2010

hiking in the snow? that's crazy talk.

I really want to be an “outdoors person”. When I’m older I can see myself in funny eco-friendly shoes, sweaters, khakis, wearing little to no make-up, going on hikes everyday, sitting on my porch every morning looking at the beautiful mountain views and drinking my herbal teas…things of that sort.

Well I’ve come to realize that this sort of mentality and living isn’t going to happen overnight. So I’ve been practicing a few things. I’ve got the make-up thing down, I drink herbal teas daily, I look at the beautiful mountain views outside my window each morning…and right now I’m working on the hiking thing. Gordon and I went on hikes just about everyday this past summer. We didn’t have an excuse not to. The trails are too accessible not to take advantage of. But as soon as the snow came, I stopped. No one hikes in the winter time right? Wrong. My father-in-law hikes everyday. In the snow. While it’s snowing. Some call this snowshoeing.

I haven’t been snowshoeing since 5th grade. In 5th grade my class went to a place called The Environmental Center for an overnight field trip where we did different outdoor activities such as cross country skiing, hiking, and snowshoeing. I loved all the activities but snowshoeing. Walking with big plastic tennis rackets on my feet was not my idea of fun. My feet kept slipping out of them, I fell a lot, I was real slow...so I took them off halfway through and thought to myself “that’s the end of that”.

Well, we went snowshoeing this weekend with our ward. I was really nervous that my experience would be a lot like the one I had in 5th grade. But it wasn’t. Not at all. I had a blast. It was even snowing during some parts of the hike and I loved it. I told Gordon I want snowshoes so we can go hiking during the wintertime. He agreed. He usually does when it comes to outdoor activities. He is my mountain man after all.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What a cute picture. You should be a snowshoe model :). That was so much fun! I need to get some of those pictures from Christine so I can blog about it (I guess I don't need pictures to blog about it but it's always better with pictures, right?).