Sunday, February 7, 2010

easy

I am beginning to not like the word 'easy'.  Would the meaningful things in life be as meaningful if they were easy? 

I want to know for myself that certain aspects of my church and gospel are true.  That takes a lot of work.  Work that is not easy.  Work that I know once I indulge myself in might become easier, but never completely easy.  Baring my testimony, going to institute, reading and understanding the scriptures, sharing comments in church, saying my personal prayers morning and night, being charitable...all of these things are not easy for me.

I want to do and have all of these things so I can know truth.  Wanting is a good start, but I've wanted these things for along time now.  Now it's time to do the work.  Work that is not easy.  Work that I can easily talk myself out of doing (and more frequently I do).

So I'm setting goals for myself.  And praying for myself that I will do these things better.  I know that I have a strong support system who is there for me, helping me, and being examples to me: my Heavenly Father, my Savior, my husband, my family, my friends.

I had another amazing lesson in Relief Society today.  It was on charity.  That's one of the things I need to work on.  Charity encompasses so many things.  With one attribute comes many more.

Sister West, who gave our lesson today, gave us two great quotes that I want to always remember and refer back to when I'm struggling gaining my own virtue of charity.


Charity is, perhaps, in many ways a misunderstood word.  We often equate charity with visiting the sick, taking in casseroles to those in need, or sharing our excess with those who are less fortunate.  But really, charity is much, much more.

Real charity is not something you give away; it is something that you acquire and make a part of yourself.  And when the virtue of charity becomes implanted in your heart, you are never the same again.

Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don't judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet.  Charity is accepting someone's differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings, having patience with someone who has let us down, or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn't handle something the way we might have hoped.  Charity is refusing to take advantage of another's weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us.  Charity is expecting the best of each other.

Marvin J. Ashton
In contrast to the institutions of the world, which teach us to know something, the gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something...The gospel of Jesus Christ is the plan by which we can become what children of God are supposed to become...Charity is something one becomes.

Dallin H. Oaks
I am grateful for the challenge I have to become something.  I know it won't be easy, and I'm grateful that it's not.  But I know it will be worth it.


My dear sweet husband is being an example to me, like always,
right now as he shows charity to one of our ward members who needed some help with his car today. 
On the way home from church he said to me that he was happy that this person felt like he could ask him for help.
Charity has been implanted in his heart. 
He doesn't think twice when someone asks him for help. 
I love him dearly.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing :). You are such a good example. That was an awesome lesson on Charity wasn't it :)!