Wednesday, November 4, 2009

If the virus doesn’t kill me, working the clinics will

I think working H1N1 flu shot clinics is more draining than putting together a 5K. Most aging services (which is the division I work for) is separate from local heath departments. Lucky for me, mine is combined (which actually really is lucky for me because I wouldn’t have a job if it wasn’t for the combo of the two). For those of you that may live in a shell, H1N1 flu shot clinics are the big HOO HAA these days, and I get to work every one of them until we’re finished giving the entire population of the county which I work their shots. I get to answer the same questions thousands of times a day, get yelled at and talked to way to close for comfort from many, many random strangers.


To make it better, I've decided to blog about some of the great people that live in our neighborhoods and their very dumb comments/convos.

First convo:

Me: Hi, can I check your paperwork?
Older Mom: Oh yeah sure.
*checking paper, I notice that her kids which are the ages of 15 and 12 have signed for themselves*
Me: Are you their guardian?
Older Mom: Yes (puzzled look on her face)
Me: Oh, well since your kids are under the age of 18 they cannot sign for themselves...can you sign this for them?
Older Mom: (confused) Oh I thought that when they learned how to write their name in cursive that meant they were old enough to sign for themselves.
*I didn't know what to say*
Me: No, when they turn 18 they are considered adults and that's when they can sign for themselves.
Older Mom: Oh, well thank you so much for clarifying that for me. I had no idea.
*really?!*

Second convo:

Nurse: Are your children allergic to eggs?
Mom with puzzled look on her face saying nothing
Nurse's aide realizing she doesn't understand the questions tries to dumb it down for her by saying: Have your children ever had a really bad reaction after they have eaten eggs?
Mom: Wait, do my kids have to eat an egg?
*again, really?!*


Gotta love working with the community.

2 comments:

Gary and Bree said...

Hey Jess! I got your blog from Mystie I am a beginner sort of. Gary and I ended up going back to the temple. We should still go together sometime. When are you guys going again?

Michelle said...

Lol :)!