Thursday, November 5, 2009

A 5K is different than 5 miles

I’ve always wanted to be a runner. There’s something about being able to run that makes you look like you’re more fit. I’m not quite at running status yet, but I have moved up the ladder from speed walker to slow jogger. Jodi (my sis-in-law and gym partner) and I have decided to defy the odds (one of us has a bad knee, the other one of us has one lung & heart condition) and run a Thanksgiving 5 mile run without stopping (we actually thought it was a 5K and just found out today that it's a 5 mile run...sweet). I didn’t really think I was going to be able to do it until this week. While jogging our normal mile without stopping (which was a milestone for us may I add) we decided to up our jogging laps and jog 2.8 miles non-stop (jogging a total of 3.6 miles with our brief walking breaks). And because we can’t go back once we’ve upped the distance, it would seem that we’ll be running (not jogging) our 5 miles well before our goal (which was the day of the run). The craziest part is that it’s actually getting easier to run longer. Practice really does make perfect, or close to it anyway. We’ve even recruited more people to join our running team! The only thing holding me back now is the uneven running course…I don’t know how well I will do running up hills…in the cold…

1 comment:

Michelle said...

That's cool that you're going to doa 5 mile run! I'm definately no runner so runners impress me! Good luck!! :)