Thursday, July 17, 2008

So what if EVERYONE is doing it

This past Tuesday my work had their annual swim party at the Roy Aquatic Center. I wasn't able to go last year so I was excited I was able to go this year. I invited our good friends the Purser's to come with us this year and they happily accepted the invite. I had no idea that Marc was such a fish! From the moment we got there he was in the water, going down the slides trying to see how far he could get from the bottom of the slide to the end of the pool. Gordon and him would cheer each other on when it was the other's turn seeing how far each of them could go. Katherine and I were very entertained by the two of them. Marc is also an excellent diver. He entertained all of the people that were near the diving board doing all of these awesome dives. Katherine and I joked that he should try out for the Olympics.

So back to the slide that the boys had so much fun on. Let me do some explaining first...I love the water. I love playing in the water and doing water sports, but I am not the best swimmer. I pretty much can't swim (water terrifies me). There were two slides at the water park. One of them was a twirly slide, the other I like to call vertical terror! Each time we all went up to go on the slides, Gordon, Marc, and Katherine would go down the vertical slide, and I would take my time sliding down the twirly one. They would tease me and each time we were at the top of the slides they would say "So are you going to try the fast one now?" To which I would say, "I'm not ready yet." Then I started to feel ready. I let everyone go ahead of me in line at the top of slides. I stood at the top, feet on the slide. I sat down, started to go down the slide when I froze. My legs spread open and I latched my feet on the sides of the slide, which helped me come to a complete stop just as I came to the start of the slope. I then proceeded to climb to the top and out of the slide!!! Embarrassing...yes. Everyone was going down that slide...even the little ones. But I just couldn't do it. I was teased, mocked, and many other torturous things but I'm ok with myself. I didn't want to go down it, so I didn't. Marc was surprised by me. He said that he didn't doubt for a second that I wouldn't go down the slide because I mountain bike, rock climb, and other "risky" activities, but I just couldn't brave the slide. It's funny because the other time I went I went down the slide with little hesitation. Am I getting more wimpy the older I get?! I sure hope not. I like to think of it as smarter. I do less risky things because I'm wiser, not wimpier.



Marc going down the fast slide...

Gordon going down the fast slide...

Me going down the twirly slide.


4 comments:

Jodi said...

Wow I didn't know you were so scared!

Georgi Family said...

I am so with you jess. I always have had this fear of flying off of the slide. But, I think I am going to try and overcome my fears this summer and go down the HUGE one at lagoon a beach. Oh man, I just wet myself talking about it. 8)

Lindsey Rose said...

Wow! You look great in a bathing suit! LUCKY! (You have to read that like Napoleon says it!)

Kim Felt said...

I want to go there sooo bad! It looks like so much fun. Remind me not to stand by you at bearlake in our swimsuits.