Friday, July 18, 2008

Doggie Friday: Meeting Big Brother Simon

Although this happened a little bit ago, it was a monumental moment in our dog’s lives. They met their big brother Simon (Gordon’s dog which is a big lab/husky mix). I was a worried mother about the whole situation. Everything went well…I had forgotten how great of a dog Simon was, and how he wouldn’t hurt a bunny (on purpose anyway). I was surprised, however. We introduced each dog separate, as to not overwhelm dear ol’ Simon. I thought that Briggs would have an easier time meeting Simon because when we are out for our daily walks, he doesn’t mind other dogs. But with Simon it was different. Simon was so excited to see another dog, especially since Charlie died. Simon was all over Briggs, sniffing and licking him. Briggs wanted nothing to do with Simon. He jumped up onto Gordon’s lap to get away from Simon. Gordon was giving him tough love and would put Briggs down to let him get to know Simon. I had to leave the backyard because I felt bad for Briggs. I put myself in his shoes, which wasn’t hard to do because I know how he feels. He’s a little guy and Simon is 6 times his size, much like some people are to me! Once Briggs was use to Simon, letting him sniff and lick him with ease, it was Abbi’s turn. She has no fear! She ran back there, went right up to Simon, and that was it. They were friends, old buddies. Gordon and I were so surprised! We worried about her because a bigger dog before bit her before so we thought she would be scared, but she was just as excited as Simon was to see her.
I am SO glad that things went well because Gordon was very specific that if they didn’t get along with Simon, then we couldn’t keep them. But things went well, and they have continued to go well ever since. When we go over to his parents it’s like old friends hanging out in the backyard. I can’t wait until we get our own house and they can all hang out together in their backyard everyday! That’s the American dream…or at least mine for now.

2 comments:

Georgi Family said...

I just hope that one day gordons dog doesn't mistake the little one as a chew toy. 8)

Kim Felt said...

They are all soooo cute! I still want to meet the little ones. (my kids do too!)