Saturday, June 7, 2008

I just couldn't say "no."

I have been friends with my friend Mandi since the ninth grade, and ever since then I have been envious of her little Yorkie dogs. I am such a dog lover, of all kinds, and these little doggies were no exception. They are not your typical small dog. They are friendly, love to cuddle, and do not bark at everyone and everything. I would always tell her parents that if they ever wanted to get rid of them I would be more than happy to take them off their hands. So when I received a phone call from Mandi about two weeks ago telling me that her parents were needing to get rid of the dogs I jumped on the chance to be their new family. It was not that easy, however.

Gordon already has a dog (big boy Simon, a lab/husky mix). Every time I even mentioned wanting another dog he would simply say "Jess, we already have a dog." I would try to rebuke, but I would end up agreeing, but not because we already had a dog, but because we didn't have time, both of us being in school and working full time. But things have changed now. I'm graduated; I now have LOTS of time to care for a dog. So when I got that phone call I made the decision that we were ready for some pets (yes, I made the decision, Gordon was against this idea but wouldn't tell me no. It was to his surprise when he came home from work and I said to him "I'm going to get the dogs" and that was it). Well...we are now the proud owners of two beautiful Yorkie Terriers.



This is Abbi and Briggs. Abbi is 2 yrs old, and Briggs is 5. They are adorable. At first they were unsure of their new home, but now (2 days later) they are feeling right at home. They have gotten use to the creeks and cracks of our apartment, and last night, slept through the night without a whine or 2 am pee break. It was awesome!
BRIGGS
ABBI


Gordon is still not thrilled about them, but he is definitely falling more in love with them each day. Just last night as we were getting ready for bed, I came out into the living to find all three of them asleep on the couch. Priceless! They love Gordon. When he does his homework, Briggs will jump up onto his lap and sleep. Abbi is always right behind him, but since she is so small, Gordon needs to help her up. So cute!





The dogs are our pre-test. It is not too far in our future when Gordon and I will start our family. These dogs are a great precursor to kids. I have never had my own dog. I have always had a dog growing up, and I would say that they were my dog, but I had no idea how much work they are! I would always just play with them while my parents did all of the work. I never had to clean up after them, bathe them, or share my bed with them! Gordon was so surprised that I got up with them in the middle of the night. I cherish my sleep time, so for me to forget about myself to care for them is a big deal. Gordon also keeps telling me that he has never seen me act the way I act when I'm hanging out with our dogs. I'm a very happy person, but with them, I'm ecstatic all the time! They are two small blessings in my life.

3 comments:

Kim Felt said...

I LOVE yorkies! We had one at the beginning of the year. She was AWESOME! But when brandon couldn't breathe (even with his inhailer) The Dr. told him to get rid of the dog. I cried (along with my kids too) I am soooo excited for you. You need to bring them over next time we are all at my moms. They are so cute!!! Congrats.!!!

Georgi Family said...

way cute jess! Yorkies are my favorite dog. I still can't believe you got them for free. That is awesome. I definently need to meet these new additions.

Sarah said...

I know you have no idea who I am. I actually stumbled through your blog through a friend of a friend and so on.. :)
But I have to say that these dogs are just adorbale! I have a dog too and she was suppose to be a yorkie. :) The story is on my blog if you care to read it.
Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that they are just too cute.