Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I had no idea this place existed

I went on my first real camping trip this weekend. Five days and four nights of hard core camping. Ok, hard core camping to me. Gordon said it was "road side camping" but I didn't take a shower for 4 days!! That is hard core.

We went to Payson Lakes. There were three lakes within a mile radius of our campsite. I had never heard of this place, but apparently it is a well known place because it was packed. We had so much fun! We went with three other couples, Marc and Katherine, Richard and Rachel, and Joel and Bonnie. Full camp site. Our days were full of fishing, hiking, mountain biking, and relaxing. Our nights were full of late campfire conversations, smores, and the best hot cocoa I've ever had. We also had some entertainment from Richard who serenaded us with his guitar (he's amazing!). The food was yummy. We ate like royalty. Camping food is my favorite kind of food. Burnt hot dogs, hobo dinners, dutch oven chicken, potatoes, and cobbler, and some really yummy minestrone soup.






Gordon spent most of his day fishing in the trees.





The boys collected firewood on the way down from a hike. Over-achievers.


Katherine's sweet tan line!



My favorite hike was Grotto Trail, a short but beautiful hike up to a waterfall. We did this hike twice; the second time we decided it would be fun to swim in the waterfall. VERY COLD! It never sees the sun. I'm use to cold water (I've been going to Bear Lake for 24 yrs!) but this was breath taking cold. I didn't even care. I was dirty, and it was refreshing.

On our way up to the waterfall

The Payson clan






I really enjoy camping. I never thought I would say that. I wasn't quite one with nature, but I was as close as I wanted to be.

No comments: