Wednesday, January 13, 2010

ready to learn

I enrolled Gordon and myself into an LDS institute class. I’ve enrolled us before, the only difference between those times and this time is we actually went. And liked it. I really liked it (and I really like that we get dinner each time we go too, since it’s on a Friday night they are treating it like a date night for us young marrieds. So awesome! & it’s only every other Friday. I’m easing my way into this whole thing.). The class is on the parables of Jesus. Let me just say how grateful I am we do not speak in parables anymore (although sometimes I feel like we do). They can be very confusing. But this class is helping me ‘decode’ them. And it’s got me thinking. I’m now ready to learn.

Church stuff has been rough for me. I’ve always gone to church, but I wouldn’t call myself an active member. I lived on other people’s testimonies up until about 4 years ago. When I knew I was going to marry Gordon was when I decided to take this whole church thing seriously. I wanted to know for myself that what I had been taught my entire life was true. So I became an active member of the church. I read and studied the Book of Mormon. I accepted a calling in my ward. I started to listen and take into action the gospel principles I had been taught my entire life. I did it all because I wanted to. And that’s made all the difference.

I now enjoy going to church. I want to be there. I miss it if we’re out of town or have to go to someone else’s ward. I love my ward and ward members. And, I can’t believe it, but I love my calling too. I enjoy going to Relief Society, learning from the lessons, and feeling of the spirit that so many of the sisters in my ward have. I enjoy going to all the different Sunday Schools my ward offers. I have learned so much about my role as a wife, mother, and sister in the Family Relations classes. I have learned so much about the temple and all it entails in the Temple Prep classes. I am so excited to learn more about genealogy in the new Family History classes (because it seems to be up to me to the work on my Dad’s side of the family, being one of the only active members of the church). Sacrament meetings have never been so great. There’s something about people in your same life stage talking about and teaching the gospel that has really helped me gain the strong testimony that I have today.

Yes, I’m ready to learn. And I’m loving it.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

We want to come to that institute class with you guys! So was it this last Friday? And it's every other Friday right? We really want to come so don't let us forget about the next one :). Our ward is great isn't it. We will be sad when we have to leave. We have less than a year before we get kicked out (since Colby is turning 3 this year and will be moving on to primary, crazy!). I'm not sure if we're ready to go to a regular home ward. We love you guys and all the other awesome couples in our ward. Thanks for your wonderful examples and testimonies!

Unknown said...

Jess- I take an Institute class each semester. I had the Parables of Jesus last semester. Old Testament this time around. Who is your instructor?