Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Warning Labels Are Not Just For Looks

Have you ever seen a warning label on machinery or something that could potentially be harmful and thought to yourself “Well duh, that doesn’t even need a label!?” Like for instance the label on snowblowers that says something like “WARNING: Sticking your hand down the tube with the spinning blades will rip your hand off” and think “Duh, why does that need to be on there! Who would do that?!” I now have the answer to that question…

We have wonderful neighbors that from day one have been nothing but charitable and willing to help us even we don’t ask for their help. With the awesome huge snow storm and us living on the mountain we seemed to have more snow than those areas around us which makes for many hours of Gordon shoveling our driveway (we’re lucky enough to not have sidewalks which we thought was weird at first, but now we love it…our driveway is big enough!). Last Friday while Gordon was shoveling the post-Christmas snow I heard him talking to what I thought was himself. I looked out the window and saw this…



our cute little neighbor boy “helping” Gordon shovel our driveway. Then a short while later I heard the sounds of a snowblower very close to our house and looked out the other window and saw this…


our cute little neighbor boy’s dad snowblowing the end of our driveway where the snowplow buries us in. Like father like son. They are always willing to serve others and do so regularly (they are the only ones in the neighborhood that have a snowblower but you would think we all had one because they either let us borrow it or come and do it for you).

Just as I was thinking to myself how awesome this family is I watched this neighbor put his hand down the spout of the snowblower and quickly remove his hand (yes his whole hand) as he cussed and swung his hand up and down and all around. He was walking down the street before I had a chance to go see if he was ok. As I watched him do this I was in complete shock…YOU DON’T PUT YOUR HAND WHERE THERE ARE SPINNING BLADES and a warning label that tells you not do that the exact thing you are just about to do. A few minutes later I heard him out back in our backyard talking to Gordon. He was ok despite the fact that his finger was size massive and changing colors while he was standing there talking!

Gordon and I kept saying to each other “We always wondered who would do that.” I hope he’s learned his lesson and will never put his hand in the snowblower again…just saying that still makes me think “Who would do that?!”
*This is a random pic taken the same day of the sweet
pathway Gordon has created in our backyard
for the dogs to roam outside without trekking through the snow...
it includes two side paths for extra traveling space.
The little neighbor boy helped him with this too*

No comments: