Sunday, December 14, 2008

So Now What?

When your life revolves around one thing for so many years it takes a lot of time adjusting to not having it there anymore. Except with school. Does anyone have a problem adjusting to no homework, finals, horrible teachers, or trying to find somewhere to park in a place where they sell way too many parking passing than parking stalls available? No. The transition from being a college student to be a college graduate is not something that is hard to adjust to. But you do find yourself asking the question “So now what?”

So far Gordon has only asked this question once. He officially graduated Friday Dec. 12th, and the celebration started last Friday when he submitted his last assignment and again this Wednesday when we went to dinner with his family. So maybe it hasn’t quite sunken in yet that he’s done (or at least for now he’s done). I know that last Saturday he was so excited to not have to worry about an assignment. He said to Friday night “so what’s on the agenda for tomorrow?” (that was his “now what”) He has found that if you have free time your quickly find others things that fill it. People told me that I would be much busier after graduation and I didn’t believe them. I do now and Gordon will soon too.


Left to Right: Me, Gord, Kim, Matt, Jenn (Matt's girlfriend), LeeAnn, Jodi

Me with the ever deserving college graduate


I have never seen someone work so hard to achieve a goal they have set for themselves than I saw Gordon do finishing school. It’s hard to believe that I have known Gordon his whole college career. I met him his first semester up at Weber State University and we started dating each other his second semester. School has not come easy for Gordon. He’s very intelligent but there are some things that he struggled with. Math was one. Statistics was another (probably because it’s a form of math). Never once did he give up. He would stay up late studying his textbooks trying to understand one part of one problem. I admire his work ethic.

Gordon finished his bachelor’s degree in four years. He did summer school in order to do this. I know it was hard for him to go to school and fit in all the summer fun activities that I wanted to do, especially once I graduated. He did such a great job always making time for me. I know that some of those late nights were because of me being selfish because I wanted to go somewhere or do something that took away from his study time. But he never once complained. He made sure I was happy and that’s all that mattered to him.

He worked full time along with going to school full time. In order to do this he would take most, if not all, of his classes online. That makes the whole schooling experience that much harder. During my last semester of school I worked less than 20 hours a week and was an intern (without pay) in turn making Gordon’s load that much heavier. Again, he never complained.

Gordon, I am so proud of you and all of your accomplishments, especially this one. You are going to make the best little businessman. I love you! Congrats!

No comments: