Wednesday, December 17, 2008

There's A Little Polynesian In All Of Us

I've never been one for church activities. I'm 'inactive' when it comes to going to church events that are not held on Sunday (with the exception of temple nights). Because we have made a lot of new friends in our ward we decided to become more active in church activities.

Our ward Christmas party was tonight. We had a Christmas Luau. Those that planned it did such an amazing job...the only thing that was missing was the roasted pig (we did have pork though). The elders quorum president is Polynesian and him and his family performed for us. They did a different type of dance and song for each island. It was like we were in the Polynesian center in Hawaii. We were thoroughly entertained the entire night. Him and his family are so talented! I was blown away by the hula dancers. They made it look so easy! Let me tell you it's a lot harder than it looks...I practiced moving just my hips when I got home. Very difficult.

I should just learn from Gordon. He was one of the lucky "volunteers" that the cute hula girls chose from the audience. It was definitely out of the ordinary for Gordon to do anything that involves moving in any kind of rhythm. He looked pretty hilarious on stage but he was a good sport about it. I think he enjoyed it. Take a look for yourself.


Waiting to begin...

the warm up...

showing us how to 'grind the wheat'...

and show time!

He's thrilled, can't you tell!
Gordon should feel lucky. Our bishop had to do a solo!

4 comments:

LeeAnn said...

Looks fun, too bad you didn't have a video too.

Jodi said...

It’s not the Polynesian Cultural Center without ice cream in a pineapple or coconut. I can’t remember which but I remember eating three of them! Looks fun!

Michelle said...

That was such a fun activity wasn't it! I wish we would have gotten to talk to you guys more! There were so many people to visit with! I just did a post about the activity too. You'll have to check it out. I got videos of the guys shakin' it! We need to get together and hang out again soon!

Justin said...

HAHAHAHHA GORDON!!