Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ok Place, GREAT Company

For a little get away before school starts Gordon and I went with some friends from my old job to Fairview, Utah (Yeah I had never heard of this place either) to camp. We left Friday evening after work and came home Saturday evening so it was a very quick get away indeed. We camped under the stars listening to the coyotes in the distance. We left our dogs home with my parents so it was a ‘true’ vacation (I feel like I have kids sometimes…sheesh!). We (as in Gordon) went fishing in the morning and the rest of us hung out by the lake. Wendy had brought this 8 person floating that we decided to float on while the boys fished. It was fun for about an hour then we (as in me) decided the bugs weren’t worth it anymore. We went back to camp and told stories and played a couple of games of horse shoes. It was Gordon and my first time playing. We won our first came. Gordon’s new name is the Ringer because of all the ‘ringers’ he made while we played. He was a natural; I on the other hand was real good at throwing them too far or too short. Although I did score the winning point!
Troy & Gordon getting their fishing poles ready
Wendy, Stacey, & I had the big floaty all to ourselves!
Us playing a friendly game of horse shoes
Gordon aka "The Ringer" got two in one!

Aside from our camping trip, life has been a bit crazy for the moment. Starting a new job is very stressful. The position I have been hired for is a brand new position. I have no one to tell me if I am doing something right or wrong which can be awesome or overwhelming! I am a volunteer coordinator for the Aging Services department. This entails me finding senior citizens that want a volunteer and finding senior citizens to volunteer. I am in charge of the volunteers for three different Senior Centers in the county too. I have to arrange meetings and trainings. All of this I have never done before but I am loving it! I don’t have computer access right now, but as of Friday I have my own phone with it’s own line and my business cards are on their way (sweet!). So working on flyer's, paperwork for volunteers, and pamphlets are very difficult at the moment. I have to use other people’s computers so I have not even had a chance to sit at my own desk. Right now it’s just a storage area for all of my paperwork (which is what it will be in the future too I suppose). I have been going out with some of the case workers and ombudsmen meeting senior citizens that are on state assistance. That part has been very interesting and enjoyable. I am beginning to find out how much I enjoy senior citizens. I love to listen to them and all their stories. They always think I’m a little junior high girl that has gone to work with my parents for the day and are very surprised when I tell them I am a new staff member. Some situations are very sad. It’s difficult to not bring that home with you. Towards the end of the week I am emotionally drained. I enjoy my new job thoroughly. I am excited to really get going, but for now I am still going with co-workers and seeing what we’re all about in my department.

1 comment:

Kim Felt said...

hey, maybe you can get grandma a hobby or something!