Monday, August 4, 2008

The Details

For those that have been waiting in anticipation about the details on my new job, the wait is over.

In May I applied for an open position as a Health Educator for a local county. This was the very first job I applied for after I graduated. About a week after I applied I received a phone call from someone from the county health department telling me that I wasn't quite qualified for the position and that if someone applied that had a bit more experience than I did then I would not be considered for the position. I was a bit defensive when this lady told me that. I made sure she knew that I felt very competent about myself and achieving the qualifications for the position. After this phone call I didn't hear anything back...until a little over three weeks ago when they called to schedule an interview. I was shocked and nervous because it was my first "real" interview after graduation. I prepped myself before the interview. I even went as far as looking in old class notes about tips on interviewing.

The interview went great. The ladies that I interviewed with seemed like such wonderful people to work for and with. I was so comfortable with them and my interview went much longer than we all expected. By the end of the interview, I had one of the ladies complimenting me on my public speaking skills. I never had that before in an interview.

Taking the advice from my class notes, I sent a thank you note right away. It had been two weeks after my interview and I still did not hear anything back from them. I was beginning to worry, so I got up the courage to call them to see if they had filled the position. To my surprise they had not. The lady that had to make the final decision was out of town and wouldn't be back until the week I was out of town. I was bummed, mostly because I knew I would be thinking about it on my vacation and would have to check my cell phone, both of which I did not want to do. Lucky for me only two days into my vacation I had a phone call from the health department asking me if I would accept the position. I eagerly accepted.

I don't know all of the details yet about what exactly I'll be doing but I do know that I will be working as a Health Educator in the Aging Services department. I also get to work closely with the department's dietitian, which I am so excited about.

Of course the position is not entirely mine yet...I have to pass the drug test first. So I'm 99% sure I have the job...oh who am I joking, I'm 100% sure I have it. (I had some of you worried didn't I)

I should start two weeks from today. I am so excited and nervous to start this position. I can't wait to start using my skills to help my community. I know that sounds cheesy, but I feel like I have a lot to offer and I'm excited to show them what I am all about.

8 comments:

Georgi Family said...

Man, if it wasn't for that dang drug screening.....

Jodi said...

Congrats! I hope the hours don't get in the way of our gym time! I can't stand to get any fatter!

Lindsey Rose said...

That sounds like a great job! Way to go. That is really great for you and how fun to start doing something you really want to do! Congrats!

Melanie said...

Yeah! Congrats, you guys might be able to get health benefits now! ;)

Bing Math said...

That's great! Congratulations and good luck!

Kim Felt said...

I am so happy for you! congrats!

Lindsey said...

Congratulations, Jessica! I'm so happy for you. Was it Davis county? JW. Anyway way to go, don't get too sucked in by 'the man'!! hehe YAY!!

Lindsey said...

nope, no luck for me. Actually Amy got that job over me and sent me an email to boast, too. I wasn't very thrilled if you can imagine. So yeah, it sucks. I know, I am sorry we missed the fireworks! It was such a crazy week last week and I was just very tired from work that day. I wanted to see you guys, too. But I am way excited for you and hopefully I will find something soon! I have two applications out right now and another opportunity that might bite, but we will see. Let's definitely try to get together another time asap!