Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I know I said it was different, but now I think they’re more like polar opposites.

We have callings in our new ward. Once again I’m helping with ward activities, although this time I’m not the person in charge. I’m the assistant to the person in charge. Who also happens to be having her first baby this week. So I’m pretty much the person in charge. And Gordon is in the Young Men’s and Scouts. Venture Assistant is the calling.

We also spoke in sacrament meeting. Gordon didn’t forget his talk this time. He did a fantastic job. It’s funny the difference between the two of us preparing and giving our talks. Gordon doesn’t write his talk word for word like me. He has bullet points. Ideas put on a piece of paper. Quotes numbered in order of what to say first. If I did that my talk would turn out to be a crap show. And although I don’t sit and read my talk word for word, it needs to written out otherwise I’m sure I would pass out while giving it because of all the anxiety I would have.

I went to ward council the other week. Let’s just say I’m surprised our ward is even functioning as well as it does. It seems like those that are active in the ward hold 2 or more callings. And I thought it was a joke when one of the ward missionaries asked us if we thought we had a lot on our plates or if we could handle more. I’m not use to people not being willing to help out either. It’s complete opposite from our old ward. And I may have had a mini break down after attending ward council. And I haven’t even had to actually do my calling yet. (I just miss our old ward so much!)

I’m sure things will get better. Gordon thinks I’m going to end up loving this ward and will have a hard time leaving when we move (no, we’re not moving, but we will in the future). He’s probably right. I’ve met a lot of great people in this ward. And enjoy my interactions with them.

It’s just different.

3 comments:

Tami said...

Jess, we feel the same. Everyone is very welcoming and kind but it is so different than OUR ward. We miss you guys!

Bing Math said...

This sounds like our ward. There are the people who keep it going . . . and then there's everybody else.

Good luck!

Michelle said...

I think it will just take some time and I think Gordon will be right about you being sad to leave it when the time comes. I know it's way different, I LOVED our ward, but I think we will all grow to love our wards :). Good luck! Your ward is super lucky to have you and Gordon! We for sure need to keep in touch though! I'm so thankful for all the wonderful people we met in our married ward, and you guys are some of those people :)!