Thursday, February 26, 2009

40 days...

I’m a big eater. I love food. I love food so much that I tend to overeat and make myself sick. However, I consider myself a very healthy eater. I know too much to eat crap food all day everyday. I read each nutrition label before I buy or eat food. I snack on fruit or veggies when I feel that urge for something sweet. Even though I know too much to eat crap food everyday it would seem like I know nothing about nutrition on the weekends. Weekends are hard for me. We always have a frozen pizza in the freezer (a good frozen pizza, not the $.99 any ingredient flies kind) or if we’re feeling rich we’ll go out to eat. When I do that I get whatever I want…big ol’ fat hamburger and fries, milkshake, Greek food, anything greasy and bad for me! Greasy = very sick Jessica.

All of this brings me to Lent. 40 days of preparation for Christ’s resurrection. I’m not Catholic. I am an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My Dad’s side of the family is Catholic as well as some of my very good friends. Many of my family members and friends participate in Lent. Of course they know all the “rules” that go along with Lent, but I will only be following a couple (again, I’m not Catholic; I’m just doing this for me). First item on my Lent list is no overeating. I tend to forget that I am in control. There are many times that my stomach is telling my brain that I’m satisfied, but I stuff in a few more bites, and in return, pain. Now I’m not going to be one of those nutrition people that take the fun out of going out to eat and never eat another French fry again (that’s just punishment). Instead I’m going to sustain 40 days from these foods and then introduce them very slowly and on occasion into my diet. Portion size is also part of this Lent item. Smaller sizes make for a happier and healthier me. I will also sustain from meat on Fridays. This is a Lent rule that I figure would be fairly easy for me to follow because I rarely eat meat. I am a fan of vegetarian “meat” products. I’m still getting my protein, just not all the fat…awesome! Fish is exempt from this rule which is great for me because I’m a big fish eater.

So what do I want to get from my 40 days of Lent…the reward of health (yes very lame, but to me very important and very worth 40 days).

4 comments:

Kandyce said...

Good for you Jess! That's cool that you're participating in Lent. And who cares if another religion practices it, I say if something helps you to become a better healthier you, than why not try it. Good luck with everything and let us know your progress! :)

katherine purser said...

That is so cool! My dad is a firm believer in Lent as far as giving up something to better yourself. I usually practice it much like you but sadly I didn't even think about it this year! You've inspired me to do it again! Thanks Jess!

Michelle said...

That's cool that you're doing this. Good for you. Good luck with it :)!

Georgi Family said...

That is a good idea! I think I am going to give up some of my cellulite.....oh, it doesn't work like that huh? Well, maybe I will give up sugar. 8) Hey, you need to start facebook. PLEASE! IT is fun. I found Thomas perry on there. Nephi still can't believe he isn't married because he is "such a ladies man"! But it is way fun. You need to start dangit!