Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Working for the man...for FREE!

Many of you know that I am doing an internship for a local health department. This internship is part of my degree requirements. I was so excited when I found out that I had been chosen to be an intern there. There was a lot of people up for the position, but it looks like they thought I was the best person for the job (I think they were right). I have had a lot of experiences to work in my community. Most of them have been worth while...others not so much but none the less it is great job experience for the future. The most rewarding experience I have had is with the tobacco prevention program. Today I taught a class at a school that is for "troubled" youth. Working with them has really opened my eyes. They come from these backgrounds that I cannot even fathom. It helps me realize how truly blessed I am to come from such wonderful parents and family that support me and build me up in everything that I have pursued or am pursuing. These kids share stories with me that no one should ever have to experience. It is heartbreaking. It is hard not to bring that sort of thing home with you at the end of the day. Tobacco prevention is the last thing that these kids need to be worrying about…they have deeper things to worry about. At the end of the class today, it was rewarding to have a few of them thank me and ask for more information so they can share it with their families. It hit me when I left that that’s what this job is all about, reaching someone.
Along with teaching the older youth, I was also given the opportunity to teach a kindergarten class in the area about seat belt, bicycle, and pedestrian safety.
That was a blast! The kids were so well behaved and so smart, it blew me away! During the bicycle safety discussion we talked about the importance of wearing a bike helmet. Lots of them had “questions” which were really comments about wearing a helmet. One little boy raised his hand and said “One time my sister was standing on a stool in our kitchen and fell off and hit her head. She wasn’t wearing her helmet.” He was so serious, and it took all I had to hold back a laugh and tell him that we do not always need to wear our helmets, it is just very important to wear them when we ride our bikes. I told this story to Gordon. He really took it to heart. So much that I caught him with his helmet on while he was studying! Just being extra cautious I suppose. I am glad I can promote safety wherever I am.



2 comments:

katherine purser said...

Ha! That is seriously hilarious! Gordon is such a goon! Your teaching stories touched my heart...:) Thanks for hip hoppin' with me last night, that was sweet fun!

kbhardcastle said...

You are doing a great job with the kids, and Gord always was a fast learner.