Thursday, June 25, 2009

Honk For My Birthday!

The countdown for my birthday starts Christmas day. It’s exactly 6 months away from Christmas. I love birthdays – especially mine! They don’t call it your special day for nothing. Gordon knows how much I love my birthday. He claims he heard about my birthday on our first date (which I don’t think is true…although I wouldn’t put it past me. Our first date was in December). He always makes sure I feel extra special. Before I had a chance to tell the dogs it was too early for breakfast, Gordon’s alarm went off, he took both the dogs off our bed, and then the next thing I remember was him waking me up to tell me he was headed off to work. Usually I have to shush the dogs a few times after his alarm, then sleep for what see ms like only seconds, then shush the dogs some more. Not this morning!

So I was already feeling pretty special because of that. Then my alarm went off, I got up, got in the shower, then went to the kitchen to feed the dogs (which had already been done and I didn’t even know it! Awesome!) and had this surprise…


He's carrying on his family tradition...we have a birthday sign!

My new 120GB iPod that already had some great tunes on it
(my older iPod froze almost a year ago...I sure have missed all my sweet tunes)
I got all teary eyed, then the tears started flowing when I saw this…
I was off the charts on feeling special! I called Gordon to thank him for making me feel so special on my day. He said I was welcome, and then told me to hurry up because he was sure I was running late (no surprise there). I didn’t think anything of that until I opened our garage door and saw this...




All the happy, cute feelings that I was feeling about Gordon and how thoughtful he was went away (OK, NOT really, but seriously…this…) He said that I always want everyone to know it’s my birthday, this way they would. And everyone could help him celebrate it. Cleaver. I was embarrassed all the way to work this morning (all 40 minutes of it!). Because I am always running late I didn’t have time to stop at a car wash and remove it. Of course today it ISN’T supposed to rain! Gordon did ask if I could stop on the way home and wash it off. What, he didn’t want to drive to dinner in it with all the writing?!

I guess I should expect this sort of thing…last year it was the cake, this year was my car…there’s no use in guessing what he’ll do next year!
I’m so grateful for my family and friends for all the phone calls, text messages, and birthday cards wishing me Happy Birthday, my work friends for a surprise break with the best lemon cake with strawberries on top (Melba, you’re the sweetest!), my mom and sister for taking some time for the girls, and Gordon for being so thoughtful and sweet on my special day.

7 comments:

Lindsey Rose said...

Happy B-day Jess! That Gordon, he is always a good time. I hope you had a fantastic day!! When are we going to see you guys, I am in UT! D gets here next week. So come by Lydas and we will play!

Tami said...

Happy Birthday! That is so thoughtful of Gordon to decorate your car like that!! I actually thought I might have seen you driving yesterday in your car...or I remember seeing someone else with birthday writings on their car. Oh well. Happy Birthday yesterday!

Janean said...

jess, i love u. happy bday.

Michelle said...

Happy happy birthday! You are too cute. I'm glad Gordon made you feel so special on your birthday, you deserve it :). What a cute husband you have.

Kim Felt said...

That is so cute of him to do. He actually put some time and thought into it. ohhhhhhh. Happy Birthday to you! I'm glad you felt special on your day!

Georgi Family said...

sooo sorry that I didn't get to tell you happy birthday! I will try to avoid hospitals on your next one so I can take you out to lunch! Glad you had a great day! I am excited to hang out and have super fun at bear lake!!! WOOT!

The Parks' said...

How cute! Happy belated Birthday Jessica!! :) Glad it was a fun one for ya.