Monday, April 30, 2012

i love yoga.


there isn't anything i love more than the feeling after i have just finished a yoga class (okay there are things i love more...but this is in the top 10 for sure).  let me share with you, in no particular order, some of my reasons why i love yoga so much and think everyone should do it.
1. flexibility.  i am not a flexible person.  i have been doing yoga for four years, have gained much more flexbility than i could have ever imagined, yet i would not call myself limber or flexible.  and you don't have to be flexible to practice yoga.  don't let yoga journal fool you.
2. peace. in my practice my eyes are closed 90% of the time.  i shut out all the world as soon as i step on my mat.  all my cares are left in the parking lot and i can pick them up when i'm done with my practice (and some of my cares aren't cares at all when i'm done).  to help with this i create an intention for each yoga session i practice.  sometimes it's peace, other times it's a lengthy mantra i repeat to boost myself up.  i would be lying if i said yoga hasn't brought me to tears once or twice.  it's because of the peace i feel and the stress relief i get each time i practice.
3. greater spirituality.  in yoga i have been given the chance to really get connected with the inner me.  i feel the strength my spirit gives me.  i feel the comfort it brings to me in shavasana (my favorite yoga pose).  i feed my spirit as well as my physical needs when practicing yoga.

4. pain reliever.  yes, it's the only thing i know of that can cure any physical pain i'm in.

5. strength.  yoga is slow.  you hold poses for what can seem like an eternity.  sometimes you will feel muscles you didn't know you had shaking.  but after continuous practice, you are practicing the advance poses and thinking to yourself "holy crap...i'm strong!"
6. stress reliever.  see #2.
7. friendships.  aint nothing like sweating it out with a bunch of strangers.  but when you see those strangers almost daily you begin to form a bond with them.  you feel of their energy.  and you want to share your energy with them.  you cheer each other on when challenging poses are presented.  you share ideas and experiences with them.  i have learned a lot from the other yogis i practice with.
8. it's a hobby i share with my loved ones.  i have had the opportunity to practice yoga with some of the people i love the most.  that makes yoga that much more special to me.
*it's hard to feel of these benefits without good instructors.  i have been blessed to have some of the best yoga instructors.  claudette, kathy, brittany, kathy #2, and brad.  all local and non-commericalized.  they are fantastic and i highly recommend them to anyone who is beginning yoga.

**also, i found out over the weekend that pilates and yoga compliment each other.  i went to my early morning saturday pilates session and then an hour later practiced yoga.  i wanted to say some swears on sunday because every muscle was sore.  that's how i know it was a good workout!

No comments: