Sunday, July 19, 2009

Lots Of Work To Be Done

This month I have had the opportunity of going to the temple three times all for something different.

One of my very best friends, Keri Hales (Patterson now), was married July 11th. I know I have mentioned in the past how special I think attending sealings are but I cannot say it enough. Most importantly, they help me to remember my special day and all the wonderful things that were said to Gordon and me. I remember our sealer telling us how important it is to pray together every night. That has been one of our best strengtheners. He said you find out so much about your spouse by hearing them pray, and I have. All of Gordon’s wants, needs, and blessings I hear every other night (we take turns) and it’s such a special and sacred moment for us. Keri’s sealer told her three times to multiple and replenish the earth and to not give up in trying. I hope she remembers that.

Mr. & Mrs. Patterson
Shelli, Keri, me outside the Ogden Temple
Keri serenaded her new husband
We danced to MJ's 'Thriller'
and Gordon DANCED with me...for the first (and only) time
Shelli, Katherine, Ally, Keri, Me

Her wedding was a blast and I’m going to miss her terribly! The happy couple will be living in New Mexico for a year or so and then they don’t know where they’ll be after that (Russell will be finished with his Masters and then wherever he finds a job is where they’ll be…I hope for somewhere tropical for selfish reason of when we come to visit).

My second opportunity to go to the temple was with my relief society visiting teaching pod. One of the girls in my pod is not endowed yet and had never had the opportunity of doing baptisms for the dead (she’s been a member for about a year and a half and hasn’t had the chance to go). So we thought it would be a wonderful experience to take her to the temple for her very first time (yes, very first time) and do baptisms. I had no idea how difficult it was to be able to do baptisms once you are endowed. You can’t just make an appointment to go. You have to have your own family names. None of us did. Lucky for us a sister came in that night with more names that she could do and we were able to do them for her. It was such a wonderful experience doing baptisms for the dead. I forgot how much I love doing them. What an importance ordinance to do for someone else. And being confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for them…the spirit was so strong. Even the brother that baptized and confirmed us said to me at the end how great of an experience he had doing this with us. Heather had a great time and she wants to go monthly. I hope she tells her husband her great experience and maybe one day he can come too.

My third experience was supporting my cousin, Chase Saxton, while he took out his endowments as he is preparing to go on a mission to the Philippines. My Aunt Shauna’s family is the only family on my Dad’s side that is LDS. I love that I am able to support her and her family as they progress in the church. It has been such a testimony builder for me to see each of them grow, especially my Aunt. It took a LONG time for her to become a member. Just recently she said to my Mom “Why didn’t you tell me it was so hard to be LDS when you were trying to get me to become a member” referring to the temple and the sacred ordinances that take place there…sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming. At the end of our session while we were visiting in the celestial room she came up to Gordon and me and gave us a big hug thanking us for the support and example we have been to her and her family. Little does she know how much they have been a support and example to me. I am so grateful for her steadfastness in the church and for her family and missionaries never giving up faith in her.

Being able to go to the temple as much as I have this month has been such a blessing in my life. My crazy life slows down while I’m there. I see the big picture and my faith and testimony grow that much stronger. I am so grateful that I have a husband that is able to take me there whenever I ask. Knowing we’ll be together for eternity makes me the happiest girl alive.

There is so much work to be done and I am blessed I have the opportunity to help.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I love reading your blog. You are really such a great example to me, even though you probably didn't know it. Thanks for being one for me, in multiple ways (health, fitness, and spirituality and all around "goodness") :)