Sunday, September 6, 2009

Life Sure Does Look Different When You're Driving In A Cruiser

There are no pesky doors or windows getting in sights way.

Gordon finally owns a cruiser...1978 FJ 40 Toyota Landcruiser that is. He, along with many others, would say it's a classic. I would agree. It's a beaut. It's painted the original blue cruiser color, has the original emblems, original motor--original just about everything. It even has the luxuries of drink holders and rear heating. And all the gauges work. Yes, we feel pretty luxurious driving/riding in it. It's our expedition vehicle. We're planning on taking it on our first expedition with us in a few weeks.


Gordon has wanted a cruiser just like this since he was a little boy. His Dad not so much. Gordon told me a story about one of the first times he saw a Toyota FJ 40 Cruiser on the road. He was with his Dad. They pulled up next to one. The man driving it had "hippie" hair, a beard, and was drinking a brownish liquid out of a mason jar. Gordon's Dad said those were the type of people that drove those. Gordon can't grow a beard, and he's done with his long hair phase, but he said he's not opposed to drinking out of a mason jar (his little brother drinks out of one daily).


Gordon has had two previous 'expedition' type vehicles; both Toyotas, both 4runners. I met him when he owned one of these. The first time we hung out he came to pick me up, but before he did he warned me and told me he had the top of his car. I was thinking he would pull up in some convertible sports car or something. Instead he pulled up in a rock crawling 1986 black Toyota 4runner with no top. It was lifted so high I could barely get in (eventually once we were dating he literally would push/lift me up into the passengers seat...he would push/lift me from behind...he loved it!) He made a lot of great memories in that truck. Many trips to Moab, many trips up Farmington Canyon, Ogden Canyon, Mantua, St. George...pretty much anywhere there was rock that could be climbed he took it. Right after he welded a roll cage in it he rolled it. He tipped it on it's side a couple of times (once while I was in it...). Many replaced parts and upgrades. Then shortly after we were married he sold it. Not on my account mind you. His decision. I cried when its new owner drove away with it. So many memories.


Although our new Toyota isn't as equipped as the 4runner (yet) there will be plenty of great memories made. Gordon said he's not going to be as crazy with this one as he was with his previous toys...but I don't think that will last too long and there's a small part of me that doesn't want it to. The rush you feel when you might fall out or off the side of a mountain is unbelievable. I never thought in a million years I would want to feel that feeling, but strange enough I do.






Just to make things clear, this is a TOYOTA FJ 40 LANDCRUISER, NOT a Jeep.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

How fun! I love the color!

Kim Felt said...

it's like a jeep, only better! I love it.