Monday, December 29, 2008

A Very White Christmas

If you were dreaming of a white Christmas your dreams came true! I always dream of a white Christmas and some years I get one, others not so much. This year made up for all of the Christmases that weren’t so white. Before we opened our gifts, Gordon was outside shoveling our driveway (it’s a good thing we don’t have kids because they would have to wait for Dad to shovel…he’s a bit anal when it comes to cleaning off his driveway and I love it! Mostly because I’m so anal about my house being clean…).

Because we purchased a home this year we both knew our Christmas from each other was going to be small. It took us about 10 minutes (and that’s including play and picture time) to open our gifts . I’m not complaining. I loved each gift Gordon gave me and I’m pretty sure he loved each gift I gave him. Although we did not shower each other with gifts we definitely could not feel sorry for ourselves. Our families gave us more than we could have asked for!


My first 'functional' jacket!
Our first Christmas in our new house...one to always remember.

We started off the gift giving Christmas Eve with Gordon’s family. It’s tradition to see a movie, eat Kim’s amazingly delicious clam chowder, and open our pajama gift. This year we added to the tradition exchanging and opening our gifts from the family (since each little family is changing and the ‘marrieds’ have a lot of family to visit Christmas day, this part was incorporated Christmas Eve night). I love watching others open up their gifts…almost as much as I love opening my own! We were nothing but spoiled from Gordon’s family leaving with a garbage disposal, Snowbasin passes, clothes, camping stuff, jewelry, and more! Even our dogs were spoiled! They got a bag of chocolate covered treats…their favorite!

One of our favorite gifts...

Oh how are 'kids' are so spoiled!

Gordon spent some quality time with Baby H.




















Christmas morning was a quiet morning. We started off with just us, then moved on to Gordon’s Mom’s house for the Petersen family breakfast. We knew this year was going to be different with Gordon’s Grandma gone, but it was more than different when we showed up at Gordon’s Mom’s and it was just us and them! Not once has this ever happened. But again, because of families changing and growing, and the winter weather, not everyone could make it. More for us I suppose. We enjoyed scrambled eggs, ham, OJ, and scones with honey butter. Also because of the lack of people we were able to play some of the new Wii games the family got.


We couldn't forget about Simon...
And Abbi couldn't resist taking his bone.

We then ventured off to see my family. My family was waiting for us. My Mom was waiting for our dogs (yes, we took them with us Christmas…no one should be alone on Christmas day). She had asked previously if she could watch them the rest of the day as we did all of our visits. We couldn’t tell her no…the dogs love her more than she loves them! After the excitement of the dogs wore off, we gathered together to enjoy brunch with my family. Yes, we had just eaten an hour before that but my Mom really wanted to spend Christmas morning with her kids again…and you can never pass up my Mom’s sticky buns! After eating so much that we made ourselves sick, we exchanged and opened our gifts. Again, we were nothing but spoiled from my family. More camping stuff, clothes, make-up, gift cards, and doggy toys and treats. My favorite gift was from my nephew. He got me lotion, but that’s not why his gift was my favorite. It’s because he did extra chores and saved up all of his allowance to buy each of u s a Christmas gift. He picked each gift out himself and made them all so personable. Gordon got an Indiana Jones action figure which he loves and plays with daily! Our families are so good to us!

Even the dogs' presents were wrapped
I LOVE these shoes!
Gordon's favorite toy he got for Christmas
Sky sure loved the hat we bought him
We were twinners in our cute new slipper boots
And Tim loved our 'classic' DVD we gave him
(I've never heard of the Rockford Files but he sure was excited about getting the series)
My mom got lots of gifts for Christmas
but having the dogs there made her Christmas complete

It’s a tradition of my family’s to visit my Grandma Burton on Christmas day. I use to do this to show off my toys to Grandma and Grandpa, and my cousins, but now I do it to visit with family. This is the point where our Christmas went from small and quiet to loud and large! We were only there a short time and I was exhausted! And we still had two more places to go…


Me, Grandma Burton, and my sis Tanna

The quiet of Christmas was there again when we went to visit my Dad. There we were able to relax and watch parts of movies. We opened our gi fts as we ate lots of chips and my Grandpa Fraga’s homemade salsa (which is the best salsa I have ever had!). Again we walked away with clothes, money, and full bellies.

Brenda and my Dad
Skyler relaxing on the love sac
Oh the salsa!

Our “last” stop was to Gordon’s Grandma and Grandpa Hardcastle’s. We thought we were late enough to not interrupt dinner but instead we were right on time for dinner. We didn’t plan on eating there (mostly because we had been eating all day) but you have to have a lot of willpower to turn down his Grandma’s homemade rolls, which I don’t have, so we ended up eating with the family after all. We visited and then opened gifts for the last time this Christmas season. We left there with another addition to our Home Depot gift cards.

The time spent traveling in the winter weather was well worth all the people we were able to se e and visit with. It just wouldn’t have been Christmas without all of those people. The longest day of the year for us (yes, we visit 5 houses every year and this year we hit one twice because we had to pick up the dogs, making the total 6) is one of the best days of the year for us. Although I complain right up until Christmas Day about where we’ll be at what time and trying to get our schedule to match everyone else’s, I really love Christmas day. I love the true meaning of Christmas. I believe. I’m grateful for Jesus Christ and all he has done for me.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Looks like you had a busy Christmas!! I'm glad you had such a fun one! That's awesome that you got passes to snowbasin, how fun!