Saturday, November 29, 2008

A New Thanksgiving Tradition?

This Thanksgiving we not only spent time with family, but we were able to spend a few hours with some friends. Katherine had invited me to run a marathon with her that morning and Marc invited Gordon to play flag football in the "Turkey Bowl" with him that morning as well.

I'm not much of a runner...ok really I hate running and never do it. But the marathon you could walk or run. So in order for me to not have to walk alone I invited my sister in law Jodi (I didn't invite her for that reason alone...she's a work-out-aholic like me and I knew she would come work off the turkey before we ate it). Katherine invited Shelli (probably because she didn't want to run alone) and so we had a bunch of us 'running' this marathon.
It was a 5K which really isn't that long. Jodi and I thought it would be easy to walk it because we normally do that distance on Monday nights watching Gossip Girl at the gym. When we finished in 20 minutes we thought we made some world record...until I looked at my watch (which happens to tell me the distance I walk and my heart rate and calories burnt...AWESOME I know!) and it said 2.0 miles! What the crap! The walkers had a shorter distance than the runners...LAME! We were very upset but had a good time watching the runners cross the finish line. Shelli and Katherine crossed with ease. They didn't even look like they had just ran a 5K. Jodi and I didn't look like we did anything! It was a lot of fun either way.

Me, Katherine, Shelli, and Jodi before the marathon...
the after pic didn't look much different (especially for Jo and me)



Gordon had fun playing football too. He came home dirty with grass stains and dirt on his pants and shirt. He was a bit sore after too. He kept saying "I'm too old for this" whenever he would get up or down all day long. It was amusing.

Marc and Gordon after the football game


Walking a marathon and playing flag football just might be our new Thanksgiving tradition from now on. It was fun getting to see friends and spend time with them on Thanksgiving. We have great friends and are thankful for them.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

That's my kind of marathon! I could maybe do that one :). Cute pictures! I'm glad you guys had a fun Thanksgiving!