Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Scared To Exercise?

Gordon had definitely brought out the adventurous side of me that I didn’t know was there. Before I met him the closest I came to rock climbing was hiking; the closest thing to real camping was sleeping on my friend’s trampoline in her backyard; the closest thing to mountain biking was…nothing. So a year ago when he decided to take up the sport of mountain biking I couldn’t pass up the chance for me to get a real mountain bike that wasn’t black and pink and said Huffy on it. He got a screaming great deal on both of our bikes. He used his more that summer than I did (go figure). The most I used it was on our trip to Bear Lake where I actually woke up early each morning to go for a bike ride and then I used it for my transportation to get milk shakes and pizza. But once again Gordon has brought out the adventurous side of me (and our new location next to the mountains didn’t help) and I have now taken up the sport of mountain biking too (going two times in one week categorizes it as a new hobby, well at least for me it does).

I didn’t think I was scared of heights. I have hiked up high peaks, looked down to the bottom of the earth from the top of the Grand Canyon and not been afraid. Mountain biking was different. There’s something about being on an unstable two wheeled mode of transportation on a narrow trail heading up and down a mountain side that my mind and body didn’t love. I found myself off my bike more than I was on it…OK probably not really but I did feel like a big baby when I did get off my bike to walk it around sharp turns because I was afraid of riding/falling down the mountain side. I was much more adventurous the first bike ride than I was the second. I held Gordon back both times which is something I’m not use to. I consider myself to be a very physically fit person. I was wrong. My body was not conditioned for this type of exercise. I was out of breath before we even reached the trail. I had burnt 60 calories in 15 minutes!

Will I be going again? You bet ya! I love a challenge, and it gets me out there exercising with my husband. I’m not excited to ride over a lizard or snake however. Gordon has done both of those things this summer already. Yuck! Bike adventures here I come!

No comments: