Saturday, January 31, 2009

Move The Water Away From The House...What A Novel Idea!

I'm grateful for all the moisture we have been receiving. Gordon is especially grateful the rain turned to snow so he could hit the slopes with fresh snow. I understand the importance of the rain and snow for the future. I also understand the importance of having proper piping and rain gutters so that moisture stays where it's suppose to...OUTSIDE!
A week ago tomorrow (last Sunday) we had another lovely 'joys of owning a home' experience. I was getting ready to get ready for church (now that church starts at 1 o'clock I have time to be lazy in morning before getting cleaned up for the day) when I stepped in something wet in our downstairs living room. I immediately blamed the dogs for having an accident in the house. I started to soak up the mess when I noticed that it wasn't yellow and it wasn't soaking up completely. I looked at Gordon with a look of confusion and said "Um, this isn't soaking up..." I began to feel around the wet spot and noticed that there were other spots just like it. Gordon moved some of our furniture and after stepping in multiple soggy spots he decided to rip up the carpet.





One of the spouts to our rain gutter is in a spot where the water that comes down the spout is sent right into the corner of our porch that happens to slant a little which then falls into a crack that separates the porch from our house (new home, old foundation). That's where the water came in.



We've fixed the problem outside with one of those pipe/tube things that you attach to your spout and are now sending the water away from the house. Brilliant!

To fix the inside of the home Gordon ripped up the carpet, used a carpet cleaner vacuum to suck up all the water that had come in, let the carpet and carpet pad dry out for 3 days, and is now laying the carpet down with a tool that he thinks physical therapist created to ensure they will always have a job (it's called a carpet knee kicker, you knee the padded end as it stretches the carpet so you don't have lumps as you put it back. Gordon said it's painful and I agree. I tried it for about 5 seconds and I was done).





I love our home. I don't love these experiences. But this is what home ownership is all about (or at least that's what I keep hearing).

*Grateful part of the story. My step-dad is an amazing guy that has helped so many times I don't have the time or energy to name them all. He stepped in once again and helped us with our water problem. Thankfully my parents have church the same time we do so he home and able to bring all of the equipment we needed to fix our home . Helping others is what Tim is all about. I'm so grateful he's this way and that he has cared for me just like he cares for his own children. Thanks Tim and I love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh the joys! Lets get together sometime again.